Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why did I not expect it?

I have some paperwork to get from the prefecture, so I just took a trip out there. Turns out that the prefecture, a government building, is closed today. Why? Because the entirety of France has chosen today as a day to protest the government's decision to raise the retirement age from 60 to 62. France already ranks as the country who's citizens spend the most years in retirement, so cutting two years off of the national average is surely inconceivable! Read about it here.

Why did I not assume that a government building would also shut down in order to protest a decision of the government? Where was my head?

1 comment:

Michael & Joe Joe said...

By the way, it was not just that day. This "greve" is an extreme one, yesterday was only the beginning. Some of the transportation and other service industries are planning to be on strike for weeks. My teacher said that its the citizens who become the hostages of these groups who decide to strike.
-jj