Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cheesecake and the Psalms


Cheesecake and the Psalms are both wonderful things. I really do love them. Cheesecake is among my favorite desserts, and the Psalms among my favorite books of the Bible. Why do I have them linked together here? Because they are both things I should not like. But I do.

I have a texture issue with food. If I eat it with utensils/hands, I like my food to be of a solid nature. I’m not that big a fan of ice-cream or most soups; I despise cool whip, meringue, and flan. I just prefer my food be solid and my drinks liquid. But that weird in-between light and fluffy consistency? It creeps me out. I make an exception for cheesecake. It’s soooo good, how can I not?

The Psalms are another anomaly to me. I’m a logical, rational person. I am not emotional. I think through options, weigh them, and make the logical choice. I use rational arguments, and I expect thought processes to make deductive sense. So I should love the letters of Paul, right? Meh. Not that I don’t like Paul, I do, he’s great. But nothing excites me, impassions me, energizes me like the raw emotion of David’s words in the Psalms.

So I’ve decided to combine the two. When I’m out about town and not on a tight schedule and if I see a cafĂ© that carries cheesecake I go in and get a slice. As I gently cut into its deliciousness, I pull out my Bible and read some Psalms. And I thank God for his creation... even cheesecake.

(and I must mention that the best cheesecakes in the world come from The Blue Pinky Bakery, formerly Sunny’s Cheesecake Emporium... I hope to snag one in the not-too-distant future!!)

1 comment:

Kara Joy said...

I can't think of a better combination! That may just be the best idea I've ever heard.

Oh, and thanks for the shout out! Just let us know what flavor(s) you want. You got em!